Saturday, May 26, 2012

18 months

A few things about Cedar at a year and a half... before I go and have another child and forget to remember these things.

• His language has grown so much in the past month or so. It seems that we hear a new word everyday and have started to be more aware of what I am saying so that he does or doesn't repeat it. Favorites right now: "walk", "big bubbles" (he doesn't care too much for small bubbles now that he has seen Dad and Grandpa blow big ones!, "wash" (we are of the view that a little dirt is good for the immune system so it is a treat when Cedar gets his hands washed), "Nanny" (Nana), "Helmee" (bike helmet), "wing" (swing), "snack" and "dig."

• I am amazed that I gave birth to a child that needs so little sleep. He goes to bed around 8:00 and wakes up at 5:30am. Some moms wake up and get a work out, devotional and shower in before their children wake up. I cherish every last moment of sleep until I hear him wake and then I try to sleep even more while he sits and plays on our bed until I forces me to make breakfast.

• We are making the transition to one nap a day, but this often results in a grumpy child and a grumpy mama for quite a lot of the day. If I had my way I would keep 2 naps a day for the rest of his life, but he seems to think the morning one is unnecessary. You would think he would wake up in a great mood after a 2 hr afternoon nap, but it's quite the contrary. The hours between the afternoon nap and dinner are the hardest.

• Cedar is really into giving Lucca hugs, which she tolerates well. It's fun to see him get so excited about his dog.

• He is shy around other kids at first, but warms up quickly and is more than happy to join in when running and screaming are involved.

• Cedar loves the library, but makes it very difficult to get in and out with the books I need and a happy child. He sees the rows and rows of books as a project... he wants to pull them ALL off the shelf and stack them on the floor. I have no doubt that once he got them ALL off the shelves he would attempt to put them ALL back, but I don't have time to reshelve thousands of books before afternoon nap. He usually manages to pull off about 10 or so books while I check out and then have to haul a screaming, kicking child to the car. He is amazing at picking up his toys, but I have a feeling that it won't last long enough :)

• From his 18 month appointment at 19 months... 24lbs, 33.5 inches tall.

1 comment:

Ang D said...

We transitioned to the one nap a day a few months ago... I say "we" loosely. It is easier to plan errands and activities into morning and afternoon things, but this week I started to wear down in the evenings. I see lots of laying in the grass while Audy runs around me in our future!

Hope you're feeling well even in the heat!